"The district of Milan barrier began to take shape in the second half of the nineteenth century , following the construction of the first toll gates of Turin. It was built from 1853 in order to ensure customs control on incoming goods, the walls separating the village physically inside its walls, consisting of the historic center and the surrounding neighborhoods, rural and predominantly agricultural areas exist until then on the outskirts of town.
The entrance to the city, relative to the walled part, was made possible by the presence of gaps, called "barriers" that ensured the payment of duty . Among the many barriers formed along the perimeter of the walls, the most famous and historically one of the most significant barrier was erected in Piazza Crispi, then along the Royal Road of Italy (now the Corso Vercelli), and named "barrier Milan "(because watching the road for Milan)." Wikipedia Translation.